Tuesday, May 20, 2008

And the Winner is....

Afghanistan! It seems "the powers that be" think I’ll be best utilized training the Afghan Army rather than the Iraqi Army. I’ll most likely be deploying sometime between 9-20 June…details not yet ironed out. Late breaking update! I fly out on 25 June, so that gives me a little more time to get affairs in order. OK, when working with the Army, one gets accustomed to change. Change number 1: Deployment now 18 June...a little less time to get things in order. The most I can say is that I’ll primarily be at the Afghan Army Headquarters in Kabul…most of the time.

On the plus side, I get to see a country which I have not yet seen. I love adding to my country list.

On the downside, I have to pick up another two languages. Ok, in some respects that can be viewed as a plus. If I was fluent in all the languages with which I have familiarity, I’d be really valuable. Still, I manage to “get around” ok in several languages, especially once immersed in the environment, so I enjoy the new challenge.

After weeks of Arabic refresher, the last two weeks of which seriously diverted me from other endeavors, I am now immersed in the Defense Language Institute Pashto and Dari language courses. This is a three week dump, at the end of which I should be able to ask for mustard on my shoe in near native fluency! That means I will not be doing much in the way of writing prior to my deployment, but I’ll try to put in short lurks with wee comments at least on all my favorite blogs and an occasional update here.

A nice thing about Pashto is that since it is an Indo-European language, it has some connection to English. Dari has more differences from English, but has similarity to Pashto, so learning both at the same time isn't too bad. In fact, the Pashto word for “passport” is “passport”. So now you all know at least one Pashto word!

16 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

Safe travels, JLK. We have our differences politically, but I wish you God-speed. Come back in one piece, okay?

Peace,

E

Laura Jane Williams said...

What a wonderfully interesting job you have!

J. L. Krueger said...

Erica,

Well I certainly plan to come back with all my bits.

Girl,

It's called Professional Soldier. Can't seem to get it out of my system. It's definitely interesting. Best part is getting to travel to exotic places at someone else's expense! ;)

The Muse said...

Be safe J.L.! Will you continue to keep up your blog while you're on tour?

Thanks for the language lesson. It is interesting to learn a new language. To see similarities and differences. I took French in school. Don't ask me if I remember any of it.

I actually know more Spanish, or should I say Tex-Mex, than French. I should have taken Spanish in school...What was I thinking.

Have a wonderful day!

J. L. Krueger said...

Muse,

What could possibly go wrong?

Yes, I'll be posting while over there...we do have Internet capability.

The world sure has changed. I remember when making my monthly phone call home from Germany was a big event...and expensive!

I actually love learning new languages, but sometimes the added motivation of being thrust into the environment does wonders for the learning curve.

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes, be safe, as safe as you can. I admire your facility with languages. I find the one quite challenging enough.

I do hope you'll keep us updated here a bit on what is going on with you, and some pictures or something? That would be cool.

J. L. Krueger said...

Charles,

Much to the chagrin of the wife, I always take my good camera. So I will definitely be posting some pictures. I'm hoping to watch a bout of Bukashi.

Travis Erwin said...

Stay Safe. I just added you to my subscription list so that I can keep up with you better.

J. L. Krueger said...

Travis,

Thanks. I'll continue to at least lurk when possible.

Thanks to the modern world, I'll be able to post occasionally.

ssas said...

I will pray for your safe return. Peace upon you.

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

How did I miss that you posted this last week! I popped by! That is so odd!

June 18th is so soon! I know you wanted to go so I am happy for you. But here is some good karma and wishing you a very safe trip and back. And you promised to keep blogging and keeping us informed, right?

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

I wanted to remind you to bring your daughters by on WEdnesday for my author discussion on the Lolita Effect but I got so sidetracked by your announcement about going to Afghanistan that I forgot. I'm just surprised it is so fast!

But do come by on WEdnesday, it is an important issue!

J. L. Krueger said...

Sex,

Thanks. And though I know you don't need an excuse to drink a beer, tip one or two for me anyway. I am going to be so thirsty when I get back! ;)

Ell,


Thanks and yes, I plan to blog and visit whenever possible.

Even if the girlies don't stop by with me, I'll be sure to visit your blog on Wednesday. That whole topic is a sore point with me...being a dad with three girls. Youngest is the one who's most bought into the whole thing.

I hope Da'Man has something to say too. I find it interesting to hear other dads' views on the sexualization of girls at such a young age.

The Muse said...

J.L., I'm glad to hear that. I look forward to reading what you're up to.

I'm sorry they upped the date on you. Perhaps they'll call you back with a later schedule? Probably not.

Do take care!

Kathy McIntosh said...

Oops. My comment got lost.
Safe journey, J.L.
Thanks for the language lesson.

J. L. Krueger said...

Muse,

Ha! Army changes are seldom good news.

Kathy,

Thanks for stopping by. I'll continue to lurk at your place whenever possible.