Friday, January 30, 2009

Back "Home" in Afghanistan!

First I’d like to thank all who wished me a safe trip back to Afghanistan. I made it back to Kabul in one piece, but not without a little “adventure.” Things were going smoothly. My Emirates flight into Dubai was about 25 minutes early. So far so good.

As we made our approach, however, I noticed that the belly camera and the nose camera views were blank. (Emirates has video cameras that let you see the pilot’s view and the view beneath the plane throughout the flight. This is a neat feature since every passenger has their own screen.) Dubai is a big modern city with LOTS of lights, so even at 1AM there should have been something on the cameras. Suddenly the engines revved the nose went up and the plane began a turn.

I switched to the flight path view and noticed that we were now in a loop around the airport. We made two more approaches before the pilot came over the intercom to announce that the fog was so thick that he couldn’t find the runway (that explained why the cameras were blank) and we were diverting to Al Ain, a service airport about 100 miles south of Dubai, because we now didn’t have enough fuel to make another attempted landing. We couldn’t land “blind” because the airport instrumentation that would have allowed it was malfunctioning.

Upon landing at Al Ain we were joined by nine other airliners. This presented a problem. Al Ain, being a service field, though large enough for big airliner landings and takeoffs, isn’t equipped to service fully loaded aircraft. Nor was there enough fuel on hand to refuel one, let alone ten jumbo’s. So they had to organize a fuel convoy from Dubai and this took time plus the two-hour trip, plus the time required to actually fuel a Boeing 777. At ten, this field was out of room for any more aircraft, so others were diverted to Doha, Muscat, Kuwait City, Dammam and other smaller fields depending on the aircraft.

In the midst of this, the crew had reached their time limit, so even if all the fog miraculously disappeared and we were given clearance, we could not take off until the crew was replaced. Emirates was on top of the situation and the new crew was alerted, organized and dispatched by bus as soon as we landed at Al Ain. Actually, they did this for all seven of their 777’s at Al Ain, so it was a pretty impressive operation.

Emirates could not put us on busses and take us overland to Dubai to make connections because there are no Customs or passport facilities at Al Ain. By 6AM all existing food and drink supplies were exhausted, but luckily Emirates had again thought ahead and cases of water arrived by 6:30 along with a resupply of toilet paper. These at least were on hand at Al Ain, but there was no possibility of food for the 3,000 plus passengers on the ten 777’s and 747’s parked on the field.

About the time the water arrived the new pilot made the observation that now the fog had lifted in Dubai. However, the fog didn’t so much lift as shift…to Al Ain. Al Ain’s minimums are more restrictive than Dubai, so we could not take off. Even if we could have technically taken off, by this time there were as many as thirty aircraft already in holding patterns over the Gulf waiting to land at Dubai. The airborne aircraft had priority to land, so we had to wait for twenty aircraft to land before we were given clearance for takeoff at about 10AM for the twenty-five minute flight to Dubai.

Needless-to-say by this time everyone with a connecting flight had missed it, including yours truly. For those who were able to book their entire trip through Emirates, the airline took care of all the re-ticketing, hotel rooms where necessary and other compensation. But Emirates doesn’t have any agreements with the airlines that service Kabul, so I was on my own to solve my problem.

By the time I cleared Customs and Immigration, collected my bags and made my way by taxi to Terminal 2, it was 11:15. The next flight to Kabul was at 1PM, so clearing Customs and Immigration and Security (which you must do before getting to a ticket counter) was going to be tight. I made it and got to the desk by 11:30. Being polite, smiling and speaking a little Arabic goes a long way for a Gringo trying to hurry through these hurdles in a Gulf State country. In fact, all I had to say at the first checkpoint was that I was trying to get on the Kabul flight and I got an escort past all the other people ahead of me bound for other destinations.

Once at the counter I found, to my relief, that the afternoon flight had plenty of seats. (I filed this away for future reference. Thursday is the start of the Muslim weekend and most people try for the early flights into Kabul, hence half-empty Thursday afternoon KamAir flights. About half of the passengers on this flight were those who had missed the morning flight.) Of course the morning problems had a ripple effect and the scheduled 1PM departure wound up being delayed until 2PM, but we still missed our scheduled arrival time by only about 20 minutes.

Arriving in Kabul went smoothly. The airport was relatively quiet, this being Thursday afternoon, but Customs and Immigration also go a little faster when you smile and speak Dari. So apart from spending about 20 hours in an airplane plus six hours in airports, the trip back was pretty good.

By popular demand - Ello and Barbara Martin asked - I’ll post some pictures from Scotland in my next post before returning to Afghan topics.


Sunny said...

Welcome back! What I like about your posts is that you do not lose heart in any circumstances.

Vodka Mom said...

Welcome back! ALthough it sounds like your trip was a bit of a nightmare!!!

Joanie said...

Welcome back! Your trip sounded a lot like mine when I was visiting my sister and brother-in-law in Bad Tolz, Germany in 1978 (he was stationed there with Special Forces). It ended up being a 36 hour trip from NYC to Munich.

Charles Gramlich said...

At least you didn't get diverted to the land of the Langoliers.

HoodChick said...

The camera's sound so cool. Here in the states all you get to do is stare at the headrest in front of you and wonder if you'll ever get off the tarmac.

Glad you made it safe and sound!

Debbie said...

Vodka Mom - I can assure you that only the return trip was not as blissful as the holiday itself! His Wife.

Barbara Martin said...

You must be glad to be back after the trials of the fog. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of Edinburgh.

preTzel said...

Howdy Stranger! I'm glad you made your flight but I would not have been as patient as you seemed to be. I might have had a bit of a meltdown. That would not have been good.

I am not a good flyer and I'm dreading the flight to Florida in March. Ugh.

momcat said...

What happened - Did you bring back Murphy's Law about things going wrong from the Green Isles? Glad you eventually got home safe! Don't know if I would like the cameras thing. I usually fly the cheaper carriers (older planes) which is a bit like playing Russian roulette and I got stressed flying home cos they left the cockpit door open and I could see the pilots looking far too relaxed (reading the paper)!

Ello said...

Oh my! I was actually tense reading all that! Poor you! But am glad it all worked out ok and you are there safe. And yes, can't wait for the pics!

The Muse said...

Glad you're back safe! What a mess with the fog. I can't wait to see the photos from your trip.

Take care of yourself.

J. L. Krueger said...

I try not to. Doesn't seem to help getting upset.

Vodka Mom,
Only the final leg was bad.

Thanks. Going east is always harder too.

That would have sucked! Especially if we didn't get back into real time in time.

Emirates also has lots of leg-room even in coach. Food great and alcohol is free too!

I usually don't like the part between point "a" and point "b". Except when driving through Scotland or Ireland.

I'd like to say it's good to be back, but... Ok, so it's good to be back in blogland.

Well, the final leg into Kabul is on old recycled 737's.

Oh it wasn't too bad...I did get to watch ten hours of movies!

Well, it's that time of year for fog in the Gulf!